Monday, September 19, 2011

Blonde haired blue eyed basketball player

I always thought that when I had kids, they would look like me, do what I did, act like me, basically be ME again. Well, it's not turning out that way. But, that's ok. I am learning to be ok with it and I am actually even enjoying it. I guess I will talk about my daughter today because let's face it, she is more like me than my 2 sons because well, she's a girl. She does not have long dark hair and green eyes like me. She is, instead blonde with blue eyes, like her dad. All 3 of my kids have blonde hair and blue eyes. They are very good looking, I just hoped that at least one of them would have my dark hair. Not because I think dark hair is better, but because I just always expected my kid(s) to sort of resemble me. It's funny really, I will be at the park chasing my blonde kids around and people will ask if I'm their babysitter. Um, nope, I'm their mom.

I also thought my daughter (if I had one, which I did) would be in the same sports as me. I was a dancer growing up. But, I hated dance. I only stayed in it for the cross-country trips, and because my sister loved it and because I had a lot of friends there. My daughter doesn't like dance. So, I am happy about that! I don't have to relive that part of my life which I dreaded. But, I was also in competitive swimming, gymnastics and softball. I loved gymnastics the most. I dreamt about gymnastics. I lived gymnastics. My daughter was in it for a few years but she doesn't seem to care about it...at all! She also doesn't have any friends in gymnastics. I didn't either, but I still loved it and made my parents put me in club gymnastics. That was my life! My daughter likes swimming but not the competitive kind. She just likes swimming for fun. Bogus! haha. I actually think competitive swimming was really hard, and I hated it at times but it gave me such drive in life. It made me realize I could do anything I wanted. It was hard, but it made me so strong! I was not very good at softball, but all of my friends were in it. I was afraid of the ball. Of all of these sports, my daughter will most likely be in softball. Well there, 1 out of 3 isn't so bad huh?

I was raised knowing I HAD to be in sports. We got to choose the sport, but we had to be in one every season. My parents thought being in sports would keep us out of trouble, and keep us friends with the "good" kids. I have to say now, looking back, I think they were right. My mom loved basketball and volleyball and she wished I would have chosen those sports. I really went a different route with gymnastics and swimming. But, I never felt her disapproval. She always supported me in everything I did. So anyway, my husband and I have decided to carry on the tradition of making our kids be in sports but letting them pick what sports and/or activities they are.

My daughter was in basketball the past 2 years and she seems to really love it. My husband was in basketball, so of course he is thrilled. It took me awhile but I am realizing that this is going to be "her" sport. She is very good at it and the smile on her face when she gets home from practice is all I need to see to know that I need to support her and be so very happy that she is enjoying herself. I have come to realize that she won't be in gymnastics or swimming. She will probably be in basketball and volleyball (and softball). She is starting volleyball today and all of her friends are in it and I just know she will love it.

So yeah, it looks like my mom is winning this round? She is finally getting her basketball and volleyball player. Does that mean that my future grand-daughter will be a swimmer and gymnast? ;-) I don't know what will happen, or what sports my daughter will choose once she gets to high school, but I do know that I will never show any disapproval of what she picks, and I will be there to support her at every single game or match that she has, just like my mom did for me.




No comments:

Post a Comment