Thursday, August 11, 2011

Halfsies Part 1: Dysfunction with L


Yesterday in my first post I mentioned that I have 2 half siblings. Well it’s sort of a strange story. I will start with my dad’s side. My dad was married once before to a lady I will call P. He had a son who I will call L. Then he and P divorced when L was 3. From what I have heard, P married a new guy soon after and wanted to move to Arizona. They asked my dad for permission and though he didn’t want them to move, he relented.

The new guy adopted L. I don’t think I could let someone do this. I would have fought more. But for whatever reason, that is how it went down. According to my mom, they sent letters to L, but P never showed them to him. He grew up not knowing his dad. And sadly enough, his new father by adoption, left him and P shortly thereafter, so he grew up with a last name of someone he didn’t even know.

Needless to say, I finally got to meet my half brother, but not until I was 14, and it was his wedding day. It was strange meeting my “brother” who was in his 20’s or 30’s by this time. I got to watch him hug my dad (his dad) for the first time since he was 3.

He lives in Texas now and I don’t know him very well. I am friends with his wife and kids on facebook so we share things once in awhile. Their family came to my wedding and both of my sister’s weddings (she was married twice). He is an anesthesiologist, so very smart and very busy. Our family went down to visit him for a week when I was in college. When we were together he would call our dad “your dad.” He would say, “Your dad said this, or did this.” (even though he is his dad too…just kind of awkward and weird.)

The thing is that growing up, I always wanted a brother. I had my sister and we got along well enough but I always wanted a bigger family. So, I made up a brother named Julian. I even drew what Julian looked like. He had longer curly black hair. He was tall and lanky. He would play the drums and then I would yell at him "Be Quiet, Julian!" (see I told you I was kind of strange). So yeah, Julian was my pretend brother. And, when I found out I had a real brother somewhere, I dreamed of the day I could meet him. But though he is my brother by blood, I don't really know him as a person, and that is a bit sad. It is what it is I guess.

Then there is my mom’s side. You know what? I think that should be a whole blog post of it’s own because the story is so long and sad and strange and I have to think of how to say it… Until next time!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment