Thursday, August 25, 2011

Why I'm Obsessed with Casey Anthony

Anyone who even knows me a little bit, knows I'm obsessed with the Casey Anthony case. This isn't the first case I have been obsessed with. But I'm not obsessed with every case. I have noticed that there has to be a personal trigger to the case, a common ground, something I can relate to.

The first case I became obsessed with was Jacob Wetterling. Jacob was only 3 years younger than me. He was from my state (Minnesota) - I can still remember watching all about him on the news. I was in 8th grade. It terrified me to my very core. I remember that our school held a "stranger danger" informational meeting after he disappeared. To me, his disappearance changed my entire world. I was scared to go anywhere and I thought everyone was going to take me. I no longer felt safe in my neighborhood. I don't know why it hit me so hard, I just felt so sorry for him and wondered where he was or if he was dead. I just couldn't let it go. I still can't, really, but I have learned to put it behind me. They are pretty sure they know who took him, the son of a couple at that very house where he was taken. At the time, the kidnapper/murderer would have been in his 30's and now he is in his 50's...they just can't tie him to the case. It's been too long. They even dug up that yard just last year but found nothing. Jacob was 11 when he was abducted. He would be 33 today (if he is still alive, which is doubtful).

The 2nd case I became obsessed with was the OJ Simpson case. I didn't really have a personal connection to that case, but let's face it, a lot of people were obsessed with it. Here was a famous athlete and actor who MURDERED his wife and her friend and got away with it. It was just unreal. I was obsessed from day one with his long car chase. It was just ridiculous from the beginning. I'm just sad that it took 13 years for karma to catch up to him. Sadly, his girlfriend for those 13 years after the murder, went to my high school. I didn't know her that well personally but I did know of her (it was a small high school - only 321 people and she was 1 grade ahead of me). She now thinks he is a murderer. I can't believe she was blinded by him for so long. Let me tell you, don't ever google photos of the murder scene, as I did, because those images are planted in my brain and will forever haunt me.

The third case I became obsessed with was the Scott Peterson case. His beautiful wife Laci was the same age as me. She was 5 months older than me. The unborn child she was carrying was only 7 months younger than my daughter (well he would have been). My daughter was 5 months old when Laci was murdered. I guess that is why I felt such a connection to her. She and I both were the same age, she was about to have a baby and I just did, we both had cute husbands, a nice home, a dog...our lives could have been the same. I could have been her. She could have been any of us. No one saw this coming. No one knew Scott was a psychopath. It was just so unfathomable to me that he could do something like that to his wife, the mother of his unborn child. I think of her often and I didn't even know her.  I am so glad Scott is on death row and rotting in jail. It sickens me, however, that he is probably happy in jail and has friends. What a waste of human skin.  I read the book Laci's mom wrote <For Laci: A Mother's Story of Love, Loss, and Justice by Sharon Rocha> (anyone should read it) and it was amazing. She said that it wasn't until 2 weeks after Laci's murder that she found the roast in the oven that they were going to have that Xmas eve for dinner. That really stood out in my mind. Just so eerie, so creepy. She also had a very vivid dream of Laci long after her death and in it, Laci asked why Scott would kill her. I wonder if dreams really can be visits with those who have passed on....

Then there is the Casey Anthony story...I know so many people are obsessed with this case but for me it is personal. Caylee and my son were the same age. She was 4 months older than my son. And, her body was found on my son's actual 3rd birthday. Like so many others, I just can't believe it happened and that she could lose all of the love she had for her daughter, kill her and throw her away like that and think nothing of it. She, like Scott Peterson, was a pathological liar and is a psychopath. (Much like Ted Bundy). I truly believe she did love Caylee at one time but then became so disconnected from her, so disassociated from her own daughter and blinded by the lust/love she had for Tony. It sickens me and I wish Caylee was mine. I treat all 3 of my kids so much better (not that I didn't before) because of Caylee. I think of her a lot and it just makes me want to love my kids even more (if that is even possible). I try to be the best mom I can be on a daily basis and whenever I feel frustrated as a parent, I do think of Caylee and how little she was loved by her own mother in the days/weeks/months before she was killed. Oh how I wish she was mine. I love my kids so much, they are my entire life. I just want them to always be happy and feel love and comfort every single day...something Caylee will never have on earth again. Heck, my daughters' gerbils had longer more loving lives than she did. How very, truly sad.

Another thing that the last 3 cases have in common is denial. OJ, Scott, Casey, they were all so CLEARLY guilty yet deny almost ANY involvement and ANY wrong-doing. It is just unbelievable to me. I wish someone could just get through to them. But, I have read that pathological liars can lie so much that they even begin to believe their own lies...like they might ACTUALLY believe they are INNOCENT. They might truly and actually believe that. The mind is a very mystical thing.

So there you have it...my obsession with trials. I wonder what the next case will be that I will become obsessed with and I wonder what connection I will have to it, to make me cling on...and never want to let it go...






No comments:

Post a Comment